svg cuts banner

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Mary's files are Versartile!!!!



Evening Y'all!
Remember when I said on the bottom of my last post that I was going to try something? Well I did and it didn't turn out to bad at all. I wanted to try using my silhouette Cameo to cut fabric and I had seen something I wanted to try it with.  As you know I have been working on Christmas presents so as to have quite a bit done by the time Christmas rolls around. The ad I saw was for a cozy you make to go under a cup of warm tea or coffee or whatever. The one I saw was for a 7 1/2 in round cozy and they had used binding on the edges. I wanted something a bit simpler that someone wouldn't be so scared to use and not at all afraid to wash in the washer should it get dirty.

I started with the size. Now I have quilted for a while now and know that anytime you quilt something it gets smaller depending on how much stitching you do. So I started with about a 9 inch Square. Just like paper picking the fabric combos is just as time consuming, at least it is for me as I am really particular about color undertones going together. This comes from my training as a color consultant years ago. Remember that fad? anyhoo I picked the fabrics and then I knew I wanted to make something fall-ish as that is my favorite time of year. I chose the pumpkin and the leaf in the extra file of Crisp Days of Fall SVG Kit.
Silhouette sells stuff you can iron onto the back of your fabric to then use it to iron onto your fabric like I did, but I used my Wonder Under because I already had it. Leave the paper on and iron your fabric square or rectangle to the same size Wonder Under. Then take that and put it on your mat, choose your design and fabric type from the drop down menu and then cut. It cut it like butter. Super simple to say the least. I took them of the mat, took the paper off and ironed it onto my fabric square. I adjusted my machine to do a satin stitch and stitched around it. Then I put my Warm and Natural scrap onto the back and freehand quilted it. I did the same with the back piece. Then stitched closely around the pumpkin and leaves with black thread just straight stitch. Trim your squares back to square and even and lay right sides together and stitch around the edge 1/4 inch leaving a small opening to turn right sides out. Cut triangle of the corners so your corners will turn better. Now give it a good press with the opening edges turned in a bit. Top Stitch and tie off your strings. Now give it a final press and your done.  You have now finished one Christmas present, Congratulations!!!! I think I will do a few of these to give to special people. Ones I know will used these. I have a  couple of plastic tubs I'm keeping my Christmas gifts in and when I am ready will wrap and put their names on them. I will then keep a list of what I have for whom so I do not forget. Well It has been a long day and I am ready for bed and Church tomorrow. Thanks so much for stopping by and Happy Crafting Y'all! Blessing, Sharalyn
SVG Kits Used:
Crisp Days Of Fall

Supplies Used:
Scraps from fabric Stash
Scraps of Warm and Natural from Stash
Wonder Under
Thread:Black and Gold Embroidery Machine Thread

No comments:

Post a Comment