svg cuts banner

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Flying High Bi Plane Style!

Morning all!



I was introduced to the airplane by Deb Mauer. She purchased the kit at Cre8ive Cutz. The original design called for flat wings with the shape but top and bottom are folded over. The wheels are also flat and the front wheel wells do not have a cut out in them. I knew I needed to "make this my own" so to speak. Lets fly away with my imagination and get busy. 

 I wanted to make this for Mark and maybe one for myself as I loved Deb's version with the printed papers but with my youngest grandson's birthday fast approaching I decided this would be faster and easier than my previous plan. My first thought when I saw the plane was the wings need to be more dimensional. I added three side pieces made to fit and complete with score lines in the proper places from Harvest Sunset SVG Kit .I also added holes in the wings so I could add eyelets and make the plane "fly". You will also need to make the cut lines for the struts wider because of the added piece that will be sandwiched in the center of each strut for strength. The instructions call for the plane to be put together a certain way. You will need to familiarize yourself with the original instructions and then change up the order a bit.
  Using the knife tool in Silhouette Business addition I cut the top and bottom svg's in half cleaning up any misplaced nodes by deleting the ones that were not important to the wing shape.  Center your holes in between the cut lines for the struts and make a narrow rectangle for the cut lines. I centered the rectangles over the cut lines then deleted the original cut lines for the struts. Add the holes to top and bottom portions of the wings. You will need to add the cut lines to one side only top and bottom. Cut your top and bottom pieces out and add eyelets. I wanted to add panels and these are not provided. I only added them to the wings but you can do this with any part. Using the internal offset I made panels for the wings. Cut three side wheel pieces from Harvest Sunset SVG kit . Adhere each Wheel side or now your wings sides carefully making sure each tab is adhered before moving to the next tab.  Do not put the top on yet. Next cut a extra piece for each strut of the wings cutting off the end tabs and sandwiching it in the center of each strut. This is for strength. Glue in each strut piece and leave wing open. 
Next I added a hole to the  top tail portion of the plane and inserted the eyelet.  I decided while constructing it that I would cut an extra windshield piece to adhere around the edge of the windshield front to give it a more finished look. I will be making another plane for my hubby but I don't believe I will use the clear acetate for the windshield. I think I will use cardstock vellum from Stampin up.  The acetate was difficult to work with and the glue didn't want to adhere to it well. I made the tail flaps as indicated and adhered them to the plane in the order the printed instructions have. That is right no video.. now see why I said I am spoiled?

The wheel wells are fine the way they are but I felt I wanted to add a cut out to them to make it look a bit more authentic. This will require sandwiching an extra piece as well. The "cut out" so for lack of a better word was made using a W 0.47 in x H 0.5731 inch Trapezoid. Angle it between your cut lines and subtract. Make sure you ungroup your score lines from the wheel well piece first as this will make your score lines disappear. Regroup the score lines and your piece and cut. Glue to the body as instructions indicate. I poked a hole in bottom portion of the wheel wheels to attach them but I will get to that. 

The wheels are made 3d by using the same piece from Mary Bonk's Kit Harvest Sunset SVG Kit. I used the ones on the coffee cart and sized accordingly. Add a hole to the center of each wheel from Bi Plane Kit. I glued two together for strength. Cut two more circles without the holes for the end piece. Glue the sides of the wheels together much like you did with the body of the plane. Leave  the circles without the holes off and poke a hole in the bottom of the wheel wells. Insert a brad from the outside  to the inside and open. Glue your circles to the other half of the wheel and add your embellishment. 

Before you close the body of the plane thread your fishing line through the hole  of the body on the plane. Attach a small washer tied to the fishing line on both end to hold the fishing line in the body of the plane and to keep it from falling out while assembling. Keep checking to make sure it is still in your body before you close it. I was not so lucky and had to scramble to get it back in place. 

I added tabs to the nose piece so it was easier to keep it together. I didn't add the octagon shape to the nose but instead made and extra propeller and adhered them together then added Glossy accents to the propeller with a paint brush and let dry. Bend into a blade shape before adding with a brad to the nose. I used the long brads Mary Bonk mentioned when she made the barrel from  Wildflower Saloon SVG KitI waited till I had adhered the wings to the plane before gluing the nose into place. 

Close your top wing up and adhere it into place following the printed instructions. Turn the plane over and add your bottom wing. I glued the center bottom portion of the wing to the center bottom body of the plane. Glue the other part of your bottom wing closing up your wing.  I glued the nose into place and added my embellishments. The Hub cap looking embellishments are from Heidi Swapp and are called Marquee Love.  I ordered them from Scrapbook.com.
String your wings with the fishing line going down the top of one wing through to the bottom wing and over through the other holes to the top. Tie the wing fishing line and the tail fishing line together and Voila! You have a "flying 3d plane. 

 


I hope you enjoyed my crazy plane ride. Since I am leary of heights that will be the extent of my flying in a Bi Plane. Thanks so much for stopping by and reading my blog. Have a wonderful day and Happy Craftin' Y'all! Blessings, Sharalyn

No comments:

Post a Comment