svg cuts banner

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Gas it up Riley, your heading to High School!

Hey y 'all,
My grandson Riley is graduating from middle school tomorrow and I wanted something unique to put a monetary gift in. I had recently seen this cute little Vintage Gas Pump.  I purchased it from Cre8tive Cutz but there were things about it that bothered me a bit after I made the first one.
When I give a gift I want it to be the very best I can possibly give. That means if something bothers me about a design I can't give it till I make it the way I think it should be. I want to explain that this is in no way a tear down of her design. It is a cute design and I am positive anyone would be happy to make it and give it the way it is. I am just that particular that looking at it and knowing the things that bothered me were still there would make me crazy. I have to give a gift with all of my very best effort or don't give it. This is me and where I live. So That being said lets get started.

I chose my colors and started cutting but then I thought no this needs to be this color. Usual right? That is totally up to the artist making it and again I will say the things I "fixed" are totally up to the artist. It is my cross to bear that I make it knowing it is a gift I am happy with.

When I started to assemble it the first thing I came across that bothered me was the tank was open to the bottom. Since I planed on putting cash in it what if it got stuck in the bottom? I know most people don't worry about that kind of thing but I did. The next thing was the stand for the bottom didn't have tabs at the corners to help keep it closed and add stability. Yes those things are important to me as well. In my opinion not only does it help with stability but it helps you glue the box together. I am just that uncoordinated.. ask my mom. I added triangle tabs to the corners and cut it again adding dotted lines to the top so I would know where to glue the tank on the top. Then I made a frame to fit over the top of the tank and glue to the platform or stand to hide the lines and finish the look.
I turned my attention to the tank and added a rectangular flat flap to glue onto the tabs.

Next I started making the top for the gas tank. What I found was it seemed a bit wonky and especially at the top. I assumed it was a hiding node because that has happened to me as well. When I brought the file up to find the sneaky little node I did find it but I was a bit surprised that a lot of the nodes had a corner feature attached to it. Well It is still a good file and like I have said before most people don't even see it let alone it bugs them. I am a little different and it shows. Most call that OCD I call it knowing I did gave my very best. So I changed the nodes to curves, smooth or straight where I thought it should be. The orginal also comes in a tad at the bottom. Not a bad thing and I didn't mind it to much but I still changed it.

Ok I had gone this far to change things so I went further. Since I changed the nodes came a slightly different shape a tad more square so that meant that the center piece she made didn't quite fit. Using the knife tool I cut a section with the pointed flaps and duplicated it. I welded these pieces together making the center piece slightly longer, adding score lines where they were needed.  This allowed for my "correction" of the file. I put it in italics because again this is the individual artist thing. Then I decided to make a frame for the gas words and then a frame to go around the very top. That looked good so I added one to the tank as well. All of these extra things I added increased the stability of the box in my opinion as well. Last up was adding the number stickers between the two layers so it looked like they were supposed to be there.

The only thing that I sent an email to the designer about was that the nozzle if sandwiched with cording would need to be flipped, and because I am who I am I will need to adjust a tab so that the entire cord is wrapped in both directions. Again this is all about where I live, not that design is a bad one. It is not. It is quiet cute and I will be purchasing more items from her and most likely changing things to fit my criteria I have put on myself.

 I found this to be extremely adorable and I do have another Idea with it and will try to see if I can make it work. If I ever get that Vespa type bike made it will look adorable next to It in my room. Below it the orginal file and  I think you will be quite pleased with it if you purchase it and make it as is. I have said before I can drive myself nuts and yep I sure can. But in the end I know without a doubt I made a file I am pleased with and Most important to me, I know if I handed it to Jesus he would know I did my very best. That is what is important to me. I cannot speak for the designer of this cute file but I do know she gave her all and it is adorable.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog. Have a wonderful day and Happy Crafting Y'all! Go have a look at Cre8tiveCutz.com it has some adorable files. Blessings, Sharalyn


No comments:

Post a Comment