svg cuts banner

Monday, November 17, 2014

Ye Ole Christmas

Afternoon all,

Well I can honestly say I did not plan on making this Vintage inspired Christmas lantern at all today. It was the farthest thing from my mind today. I had planned on writing up the other lantern I made for my daughter and making Dads Birthday card but thankfully my plans are not Gods Plans. So here is how this lantern came about today. I was drinking coffee and just catching up on Facebook and then there it was, this amazing tattoo of Christ on this guys arm I mean it was made so it looked like the guys fist was Christ's. I sent it off to my son as he has tattoo's for him to see then I came into my room to write up my daughters lantern I made her. As I sat down I looked over at the really pretty stencil I bought that is a Tim Holtz Stencil and then that lantern just started forming in my brain.

I started with the tall lantern from Spooky Soiree SVG  Kit. I cut all the pieces out at the size they import. I wanted the stencil to look like it was all part of the lantern so I adhered all the pieces together in the proper places with my Tombow Tape runner, even the vellum which seemed to work so much better, then I used post it note tape to hold everything it place so it wouldn't slip while I used the stencil. I also taped down the stencil. Then I used Tim Holtz distress inks on the stencil and using a dauber I added the ink to the whole thing. After doing all the pieces and before gluing I heat set the ink with my heat gun.... just in case...

Using the single holly leaves from Shaped Christmas Cards SVG Kit, cut them at W 0.913 x H 2.492. I used Vintage Photo Ink from Tim Holtz to add ink to the edges and give it a distressed look. Cut the bottom Swag from Clara's Christmas Strips SVG Collection at W9.393 x H 1.188. I cut two of these and then used my scissors to cut them up into the portions I needed. Those were also inked with Tim Holtz Vintage Photo. I had the berry branches from my extras box but they are probably cut at the size they import and they were already glittered.

Using what you have stenciled as a pattern, add a few branches and holly leaves to your front but try not to totally obscure your stencil. I added the rhinestones that had a bit more opaque look to them for a more vintage feel. Then I added a few holly leaves and cut up pine swag then, added a pretty bow. I did glue down edges here and there to give a flowing look to it. The bells were also from Michael's over in the Christmas section. They had a vintage feel when I saw them and thought how nice they would look with the something in the future and they do. I hot glued those into place as if they were on a rope. Just add a battery operated candle and there is your vintage Christmas Lantern.
I love how this one came out for something I had not even the slightest thought of doing. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I am here to help. Thanks so much for stopping by and reading my blog. Have a wonderful evening y'all and Happy Craftin'!
Blessings Sharalyn

SVG Kits and Collections Used:
Spooky Soiree SVG Kit
Spirits of Christmas Past SVG Kit
Clara's Christmas Strips SVG Collection
Shaped Christmas Cards SVG Kit

Supplies Used:
Tim Holtz Festive THS029
Bazzill Card Stock: Walnut, Rain Forest
American Craft Card Stock: Pine
Tim Holtz Distress Inks: Evergreen Bough, Festive Berries, Vintage Photo, Gathered Twigs, Mowed Lawn
Stampin Up: Card Stock Vellum
Recollection Rhinestones
Bells from Michael's
Ribbon from Stash
Scotch quick



2 comments: