svg cuts banner

Friday, September 14, 2018

From a Pumpkin to an Owl Treat Box

Hey y 'all,
 This is going to be a quick post since I have already had a lot of questions. I made this for two reasons. I was entering something for the ecal group challenge and as a thank you for someone who shares a love of owls at my church. So here it goes

Using the Freebie Pumpkin Treat Box I brought the bottom leaf onto the mat and cropped the stem off. I cleaned up the rough edge from the crop by deleting the extra nodes. Then the "ears" in the Mocha Divine from Bazzill are cut at W 1.326 x 1.038. The smaller "hair" or feathers are cut at W 0.633x 0.639. cut two of each. The "beak" measurements are.. Top W 0.576 X 0.801. Bottom W 0.331 x 0.459. Cut one of each I used American Craft Honeycomb cardstock. Use the smaller leaf and duplicate and angle several onto the middle pumpkin piece. Use path, exclude, back to front to make the cut outs on the tummy.

Use the brown piece with the vine, break it apart. When you move the top brown piece away you will have a tear dropped piece. I used that for his wings and angled and duplicated it . Then you select all of it and use path then back minus front. This will give you the cut outs on the wings. I cut mine using Bazzill Mocha Divine. Cut two center portions of the pumpkin and layer them under your wing cut outs gluing them together.

Using the same brown piece and cropped the curly part off. Use the part that you cut the vine off of and turn it with the two bumps up. Copy and paste two extra pieces of this as one will be your feet and one will be the yellow part for the eye. Clean up any nodes by deleting them.  Using the other odd shape from that stem that was left over and using path and union bring the tear drop piece and the odd shape together to make the lid and eye part. I used Bazzill Black Bird. Size the piece to W 0.803 x 0.753. Cut two of the black and two of the yellow. Glue the black to the yellow slightly overlapping. This is not a perfect fit so use your creative eye for the eyes. lol
Using the same shape you used for the yellow of the eye cut two feet from American Craft Honeycomb Cardstock.

As Trina Struckman said in the comments I used the stem for the tail feathers and added lines using a maker. I added leaf lines for the ears and "hair".

Cut the bottom, middle and top of the pumpkin using Brown. I used Bazzill Mocha Divine. Cut the box shape. I used a paper from Celebrate Autumn by Echo Park.

Leave a little showing so you can see the feet. Train your tail feathers up and glue under the edge of the bottom pumpkin. You will be overlapping your tail feathers that is why I used two colors. Glue the pumpkin bottom to the box front. I did this while mine was flat then glued the box together. Glue your feet to the bottom underside of the middle pumpkin or tummy. Glue your head on next just over the top portion of the box and pumpkin. You will be covering the stem but it will be visible from the back. I used pop dots for the last center portion of the pumpkin and attached it at the center of the Head pumpkin. 
Layer your wings gluing them together. I used Cinnamon Bazzill Cardstock for the bottom layer and ran the two layers through my emboss machine using Cuttlebug African Batik emboss folder. Bend the wings slightly  and angle them gluing them over the edges of the tummy. 

Glue the eyes about half way onto the middle head piece. Train the top beak into a curve leaving the flat edge as a tap. This will be how the beak is attached to the face. Do the same for the lower beak. Adhere the lower beak first then the top over the lower beak. 
At the center top of the head glue the "ears" at and angle then to cover your seam do the same with the smaller leaves. These were trained into an upward curve. Glue a bow onto the middle part of the face at the "neck". Fill with treats and your done! 

I hope this makes sense to y 'all. Enjoy your owl and I would love to see them on my Facebook page Shara's paper Creations or Dreaming Tree whatever! Thanks for stopping by and Happy Craft'n Y'all!!!
 Blessings, Sharalyn


Here is the Link for the Freebie: Take a look around and see if there is anything else you make like. 
Pumpkin Treat Box

No comments:

Post a Comment