svg cuts banner

Friday, June 7, 2013

NOT YOUR ORDINARY GINGERBREAD CHALET VILLIAGE!

Morning all
It is only 7:46 am and it is already 90 degrees. We've had a high heat warning as those temps are not usual for us here. We are typically 10 to 15 degrees cooler here in the high desert. One other reason I live up here is that it does cool off at night up here, were as in the low desert (Palm Springs area) it does not. BUT its a dry heat! or so they tell me. LOL  It still saps the strength from you so I choose to live up here in Joshua Tree.
I have been working on a number of things. Cards for my mom and a couple of ideas I had but I told you I would have the idea for a different village and I just haven't had time to finish the idea but I will show you what I have so far and keep in mind I think it needs something more. 

Start with the Gingerbread Chalet Village and try not to think of it as only for Christmas. My thought was to show the gal who asked, that all of the kits and collections can be adapted to what you want or a close idea of it. Just sort of squint your eyes when your looking at it.  Like you do with your house imagine what it might look like if you changed a few things. In this case I changed the paper and turned the front around to be the back of the house. I used papers that made me think of the cabins in Big Bear and LOTS of them are fishing cabins. So that is the theme I went with. 

The paper pack I used is by Echo Park and is what they call a mini theme, called Grandpa's Tool Shed.  A lot of times the grandpas are the ones  that have time to take off and going fishing. 
 I  incorporated the Picnic in the Park collection by using the oars for the fishing boat and shrinking them down a lot. Placing the house pieces on my virtual mat, then placing the oar pieces next to them to size them correctly.  Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. Either way the pieces get used as they go into a box for the grand kids to use.  That way I get rid of my opps that isn't right stuff and they get to be creative at grandma's house.

I added the jute to the holes of the fishing cabin to
give it a more rustic look. I put the oars at the top after wrapping linen thread from Stampin  around them.The fish is from the Picnic in the park. I used a Colorbox brown ink pad to give it that aged look as well. 

I embossed the "frosting" with my Forest Branches emboss folder from Cuttlebug.  It did tear it a tiny bit but when I glued it down you could not tell.  I also used a dark brown ink to blot on the "frosting" as well.
 I used a tiny brad for the door knob so I could hang a Gone Fishing sign over it. On the back door, I used a metallic flat brad that is like gems but is metal from Hero Arts. I will included a picture of the back as well but like I said it isn't finished. I am not sure what it needs yet but I haven't had a moment to think about it as life has gotten busy again.  Maybe a sign over the front door like the Blurps or something like that. LOL

I do apologize to the gal that asked, for not getting your name. You had asked for a village that wasn't Christmas related. I hope this helps. I also thought it would be cute to do a English cottage.
Using different papers can do a lot to change the look. I hope this helps. Thank you so much for reading my blog, and Happy Crafting Y'all!
 Blessings Sharalyn

SVG Kits Used:
Gingerbread Chalet Village SVG Kit
Picnic In the Park SVG Kit

Supplies Used:
Echo Park, Mini Theme Collection Grandpa's Tool Shed
American Craft Card Stock, Caramel, Chocolate, Mint, Slate
Cuttlebug Forest Branches Emboss folder
Jute Twine
Stampin Up, Linen Thread
Hero Art Adhesive Nail 
Small Brad
Dark Brown Ink Pad
Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive




2 comments:

  1. Sharalyn, Your work is fabulous! You need to be on Mary's next design team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Carolyn! I'm pretty sure Leo helps decide that too! :)

      Delete