svg cuts banner

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

May the Luck of the Irish....

Mornin' Y'all!
It is a beautiful morning again and spring has started to show itself in our plants and flowers.  Spring makes me think of flowers, Valentines day and St. Patrick's Day with Easter soon. Exciting for us as we very much enjoy this time of year. All to soon it will be very hot and fans will be going in our house 24/7. So I thought I would bring to you my newest creation, and if you look  at certain kit from SVG Cuts you can see where I got the idea to make it. May the Luck of the Irish fall on you!

Using the hot air balloon from High Skies SVG Kit, I made the hot air balloon at the size it imports. I knew I wanted to use the cauldron from Party On Elm Street SVG Kit as the pot of Gold, so I reinforced the holes of the balloon with eyelets. I used my Crop-a-dile to add the eyelets to the balloon and the cauldron after they were assembled. I used American Crafts Card Stock colors Cricket, Evergreen and embossed them with Cuttlebug Argyle folder and Sizzix Plaid emboss folder. I bought a 6x6 doodlebug pad called kraft in color to cut two of the accent papers for the balloon. The shamrock paper is loose paper from Hobby lobby. I had wanted to use the doodlebug collection Happy go Lucky but was unable to find it. I think this worked out nicely though. I have since found it thanks to Katie Smiley and Susan White. I have another idea in mind to use the paper for so thank you again to both those lovely ladies.

The cauldron was sized to W 9.836 X H 8.437, this is with all the pieces on your virtual mat at once.  I made a cut out of a shamrock in the bottom of the "Pot of Gold" Sized at W 0.719 x 0.710 using the shamrock from the Lucky Puppy Card in the Charm and Chance SVG Kit The proper name for that svg is, green.svg. Center the Shamrock in the bottom of the Cauldron and select all, choose the modify window and subtract. I covered the shamrock on the inside of the pot with a 1 inch circle of  green Card stock Vellum from Stampin Up. I colored the Vellum green myself with my pigment ink and a sponge before adhering it to the inside of the pot. A second bottom was adhered to the inside and cut at W1.580 x H 1.580 this was to cover the vellum and make it look a bit more polished. Make sure to add your shamrock to this one as well. Line up your shamrocks to be center when you glue to the inside. If you wish you can add a battery operated tea light to shine the shamrock on the surface below.

 I used a 1/8 inch hole punch to punch the holes for the eyelets on the pot. I could not get the crop-a-dile in the pot to punch it without tearing the pot. I used two colors of green and white twine to make the strings for the balloon and tied green bows around the stings at the top of the pot. The Strings were made with shorter ones in the back to look as thought the pot were pouring out its luck. Make the two in the front longer. I added a bit of glossy accents to hold the knots in place before adding the bows to the top. Another shamrock was added to the front of the pot and a gold rinestone was added to the middle.
To make the shamrocks pouring out the luck on you, I used a very thin strip of overhead transparent sheet and glued the shamrocks cut in different sizes to it using Ranger Multi Medium matte.  The Shamrocks are cut at smallest to largest W0.541 x H 0.535, W 0.666 x H 0.660, W 0.791 x H 0.783, W 0.916 x H 0.907, W 1.041 x H 1.031. I cut three sets of these and embossed and inked them using emboss folders from Cuttlebug, Swiss dots and Argyle, Sizzix emboss folder plaid. I used a darker ink to bring out the embossing.

The Banner for the balloon was also embossed using Cuttlebug's argyle emboss folder and inked with Stampin up's garden Green ink. I am not sure this ink color is still available but you could almost always find these on ebay. Using the smallest shamrock size I cut shamrocks for the banner as well and added embossing and ink to those along with a gold rhinestone for the centers of those. The top of the balloon is also embellished with shamrocks and a green rhinestone was added to the center of those. I colored the clear rhinestones using my copic marker G29. The gold ribbon around the top of the pot was from my stash and has wire in it so I only had to hot glue the to ends into place.  There you have it, a wee bit of the Luck of Irish pouring out on you. I hope you enjoy this project and I would love to see pictures if you decide to make one.

Thank you so much for stopping by and spending time with me. Have a wonderful day and Happy Craftin' Y'all! Blessings Sharalyn

SVG Kits and Collections Used:
High Skies SVG Kit
Party On Elm Street SVG Kit
Charm and Chance SVG Kit

Supplies used:
American Craft Card stock: Cricket, Evergreen
Doodlebug Card Stock: Kraft in Color 6x6 pad
Paper Studio Shamrock Paper
Bazzill smooth white Card Stock
Recollections Black Card Stock
Recollections Rhinestones
Stampin up Card Stock Vellum
Stampin up Garden Green Ink
TheTwinery Twine: Peapod, Honeydew
Cuttlebug Emboss folder: Argyle, Swiss Dots
Sizzix Emboss folder: Plaid
Ranger Mulit Medium Matte
Copic Sketch Pen G29
Clear overhead sheets
Eyelets from stash
Scotch quick Dry Adhesive
Silhouette Cameo


  1. Thank you Susan White, I haven't gotten the paper yet it shipped yesterday so I think it might take a week. Thanks again for all your help and look for the project at a later date...

  2. this is awesome thank you for all the directions hope i find the time to make this beauty

    1. Your most welcome Lois, and no worries if ya don't get it done this year there is always next year!;)

  3. I just love your balloon! Very clever and great choice in papers. Thanks, Sharalyn!